2/1/13 - (Noon) - You can once again revise the snowfall total - to 18+ inches, this time. The trail will be groomed and tracked during the night and early morning hours. The starting temperatures are predicted to be between 10 degrees and 13 degrees for the starts. High of 16 for the day, with winds of 12 MPH tonight lowering to 3 MPH tomorrow. Our only concern at this point is the trail blowing over after the grooming, at this time the wind is not a problem, however.
The Mancelona Health Center will, again this year, be offering a pancake, eggs and sausage breakfast for $4.00 beginning at 7:00 AM.
REGISTRATION IS STILL AVAILABLE: From 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM today in the lobby of Shanty Creek; Phone until 8:00 PM tonight, (231-587-8812). Tomorrow morning at the Mancelona High School beginning at 7:30 (map to HS can be found on the website).
Showers will be available at the Shanty Creek Health Club for $5.00
REMINDER: Shorts Brewing Cooldown and Awards Ceremony - 1:00 PM tomorrow.
1/31/13 - (6:00PM) - You can revise the 6 inch snowfall amount to a foot at this time. It is going to be a lot of fun on a great trail. REGISTRATION: Online until 10:00 PM tonight; Fax (231-587-8065) until noon tomorrow; Phone (231-587-8812) until 8:00 PM tomorrow; In person from 3:00 PM until 8:00 PM tomorrow and beginnning at 7:30 AM Saturday morning. Entry fee tomorrow and Saturday 10 KM - $35.00; 40 KM and 20 KM $75.00. The entry fee includes your tee shirt, souvenir bib, finishing medal and $5.00 donation to the Children's Hospital of Michigan Foundation.
Do not forget the Shorts Brewing Cooldown and Awards Ceremony from 1:00 to 5:00 in the Shanty Creek Bellaire Room. Slide show, music, good conversations, Shorts beer for $1.00 per glass.
We are looking to meeting everyone during the course of the weekend.
1/31/13 - (2:00 PM) - We received 6 inches of lake effect snow this morning with more expected over the next couple of days.. The temperatures are expected in the teens so we do not forsee losing any snow. The trail is being rolled today. It will be rolled and marked again tomorrow, with the final grooming and tracking overnight. There should be very good conditions on race day. Predicted consitions for race day: Temperatures between 11 degrees at the start of 40 KM race at 9:30, 14 degrees at the 20 KM start and 15 degrees at the start of the 10 KM race. Precipitation 0.03 with 0.8 inches of snow.
1/30/13 - (4:00 PM) This is the most bizarre race preparation I have encountered in my 37 years; heavy wet snow before Christmas; three weeks later - gone; several feet of lake effect followed by 30+ hours of rain this week; snowing currently with foot predicted before race day. The result of all that turmiol - there will be a race and with potential excellent conditions, dependent upon the snow fall over the next 48 hours. Registration is still available online, fax (231-587-8065), phone (231-587-8812) and of course in person between 3:00 PM and 8:00 PM Friday at Shanty Creek - or - beginning ar 7:30 AM at the Mancelona H.S. start.
Do not forget the Shorts Brewing Cooldown at 1:00 PM following the race and the awards presentation at 3:00 PM. Shorts products will be available at $1.00 per glass, snacks available, slide show of the events of the day and musical entertainment courtesy of Shanty Creek Resort and Shorts Brewing Co.
Should you have questions regarding the race feel free to call 231-587-8812 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1/29/13 - Perfect one day - not so perfect three days later. Once again we were hit with a 50 degree day during race week. The goo dnews is, however, it has not brought with it, the predicted rain as yet. We are closely watching the radar as a band of rain makes its way across the lake. I t would appear that this front will be moving to our south barely. It is then predicted we will be receiving snow through Friday night in amounts from 8" - 12". We have a good base at this juncture, on most of the course, and have no intentions of making any drastic decisions at this time. We are still looking forward to seeing you Friday night or Saturday morning and definitely at the Shorts Brewing Cooldown Saturday aternoon.
1/27/13 - We are closely watching the ice storm predicted for southern Michigan starting tonight through Tuesday. We are especially interested in the warm temperatures and rain on Monday and Tuesday in this area. We will keep you informed. The Race Day temperatures have now risen to 28 high and 19 low
1/26/13 - The trail is absolutely perfect today, (albeit a litle thin), entries are coming in; the committee and volunteers are prepared to go. The temperature on race day is a predicted 22 high and 13 low.
We have donated five dollars from each entrant together, with private donations, to the Children's Hospital of Michigan Foundation for twenty six years. We have reached $93,690.00 in donations and looking to add a significant amou nt following this race.
If you are going to be driving near the 20km and 10km finishes please be aware the the parking lot at those finishes wqill be closed to public use, as it will be for officials and buses only. Public parking is not far from that lot providing a short walk to both finishes
The excitement is building after the disapponitment, the race committee hopes to see you next week
1/25/13 - Bill Fleet just reported in from his day on the trail; "I cannot believe how good it is." I expect a crowd, at both Fridan night and Saturday morning registration, You will be best advised to register early to save not only time but also the ten dollar late registraton fee.
For those 134 that entered last year - we know who you are - but do let us forgot to give you the ten dollar bill we have been promising you.
The predicted weather for race day has improved a bit to high of 20 andlow of 13, the volunteers will like that, at lease like it better then yesterdays prediction. The waxing Clinic will be in Parlor G,, Summit Center at 7:00 PM Friday. A short walk down the hall f rom registration.
1/24/13 - Enough weather talk. All three races are being prepared and, while the trail is a bit thin, ready to go. Showers are available at the Shanty Creek Health Club for $5.00. For the 40 km skiers, if you have friend or family with you, they can drive your car from the start to the Shanty Creek finish. Walk across the parking lot to the Health Club and then join the masses at the Shorts Brewing Cooldown and Awards Ceremony. For those in the 20km and 10km events; if you also have a driver have them pick you up at the finish and then on to the party, stopping for a shower at the Health Club. It is early yet but the predicted temperatures on race day are from hi of 15 to lo of -2.
1/23/13 - The waiting and hoping is over. The RACE IS ON. We have had nothing but lake effect snow so the trail will be fargile and a bit marginal but with the care it will be receiving from Bill Fleet next week it should be enjoyable. I would suggest you think of sending, faxing or online registering early - we are expecting big crowds on Friday night and Saturday morning.
1/22/13 - More snow last night and this morning. We are becoming much more optimistic, as the days pass, that the full slate of races will be held on February Second. While the snow is all lake effect as we have been saying it is gainign some depth and a base is developing. A reminder.....there will be a $10.00 charge for entries received Friday, February 1, and Saturday, February 2, for the 20km and 40km races.
1/21/13 - Had about 7 - 8 inches of lake effect last night and this mornings the trail was rolled today exposing some bare spots on the open areas. The good news is another 10 - 12 is predicted between now and Wednesday. Temperatures are expected to remain frigid, so there is not much chance of losing what we have, between now and race day. Whatever happened to the good old days?
1/20/13 - Had a little rain yesterday which took some snow, however, had about three inches last night and this morning. Predictions are still for 16+ inches through Tuesday. Good news is that is cold, cloudy and dreary, highs mid teens, lows single digits. Slight warm up later in the week and next week but no rain predicted, no sun predicted. You could do me a favor; If you could email or phone us if you are leaning towards entering the race. It will greatly help me in ordering tee shirts, ensuring you receive the size you want and maybe saving the race a bit of money. The committee is positive in our thoughts. See you in two weeks
1/19/13 - Sitting in my office watching steady snow fall, Stepping outside discovering some moisture in the snow, as I make a snowball. A very good sign. The prediction for the next few days is for 15+ inches in the Mancelona - Bellaire area with frigid tempatures still expected.
1/18/13 - The weather predictions from today until Tuesday show the area receiving approximately 17.5 inches of lake effect snow, combined, on Saturday, with a chance of a rain mix. The tempatures will be frigid from mid to low teens as highs and middle to low single digits as lows. We have received several inches of lake efffect over the past few days bringing smiles to the faces of the committee. The early prediction for race day is 4 degrees to 22 degres withs snow.
1/16/13 - After finishing your race join us at the Short's Brewing Cooldown in the Bellaire Ballroom in the Summit Village Lodge. Rehash the race with friends as you enjoy Short's Product for only $1.00 per glass of $4.50 a pitcher. Snacks will also be available for you as you watch the slide show of the days events and enjoy the music of The Younce Guitar Duo. This will be available for you at 1:00 PM. Stick around at 3:00PM for the Short's Brewing Awards Ceremony.
For those 125, or so, that entered the weather challenged race last year make sure to collect your crisp, new $10.00 bill when you pick up yout tee shirt and bib this year.
WEATHER - A week ago there was no snow on the ground. We have received minimal snow since that time. HOWEVER, it is snowing today rather heavily and is expected to continue for several days. It is lake effect snow but predictions are for a heavy accumulation before race day. Any decisions regarding the race will be finalized no sooner than the Wednesday of race week. You will be informed daily of snow conditions.
12/17/2012 - Online registration is available now. We are hoping for a more snow-filled winter this year!